The paywall for podcasts (or any other type of audio content)
As a Steady Publisher, you can send special content to your paying members. For text content you can use the Steady Paywall, for podcast episodes (or other audio content) you can use the personal audio RSS feed.
What does the personal audio RSS feed do?
The personal Steady audio RSS feed allows you to provide only paying members with audio files (e. g. podcast episodes). These can be exclusive episodes (such as a making of) or pre-releases of episodes. For example, paying members can enjoy a new episode a few days before the normal audience.
How does it work?
Usually you provide your listeners with a URL where they can become a member of your podcast. However, the disadvantage of this solution is that this URL is public and therefore also accessible to non-paying users. Steady solves this problem by providing a personal feed URL that is different for each paying member.
How do I activate the personal audio RSS feed for my project?
Log in to Steady and go to "Edit Project > General"in the left navigation column. Activate the slider in "Audio RSS feed for podcasts". Click on "Save". You only have to do that once.
How do I post podcast episodes for paying members only?
It's easy: you can create an audio update on your Steady page. This is how it works:
- Upload the exclusive episode to where you normally upload your podcast episodes, for example we use the URL http://yourpodcast.com/episode.mp3. for the exclusive episode.
- Log in to Steady and click on "Updates" > "Write Update" in the left navigation bar and then click on "Audio-Update".
- Insert the URL of the exclusive episode into the URL input field, in our case here http://yourpodcast.com/episode.mp3.
- Write a suitable headline, a teaser text and possibly a longer text for the episode.
- Click "Publish" and then click "Visible to: Supporter". Then click on "Publish now". That's it!
Where do my members find their personal RSS-Audio-Feed?
Your members must register with Steady and then visit your Steady page. There you will find the URL of your personal audio RSS feed under the membership plan. Your members only have to copy this URL once into their podcast player. Then they will automatically receive new exclusive episodes from you.
Some questions about the RSS-Audio-Feed
What happens if a paying member cancels?
In this case, the member will still have access to the exclusive feed until his or her notice period has expired. From this point on, the URL of their personal audio RSS feed becomes invalid.
Can I attach the RSS audio feed to a specific membership plan?
No. Every paying member, no matter which plan was purchased, receives a personal Audio RSS feed.
What happens when I post an audio update "Visible to:all"?
Then this episode is also visible and audible for non-members in the update area of your Steady page. It also becomes part of the personal audio RSS feed.